Nonfiction Books

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

My Process Writing


Looong story...but it's a good one :)

I came across the Black Arts Cultural Center when I went to the Art Hop of May. I went on a class trip with my Interrogating Contemporary Art course with Jessica Santone. We had to pick out an art work and write a review about it for our class website. One of the exhibits was the BACC gallery. I never knew that there was a BACC. I looked and enjoyed all the art, but I couldn’t focus and pick out details from them because our class had to keep moving and go to the next gallery. I didn’t like the fact that my whole trip to the Art Hop was very rushed because there was so much to see. So I decided to go back downtown on my own time, specifically to the BACC because it is not often that I hear of an African American organization in Kalamazoo other than the Black Student Organization in Kalamazoo College.
            That day I went back, Mrs. Jones came out of the back office and she welcomed me, asked me who was I and what interest I had in the center. I told her I was a student at K and I wanted to write an art review on one of the paintings. Right at that moment, a man walked into the BACC who Mrs. Jones introduced me to as Mr. James C. Palmore. She said he made the painting that was hanging out in the hallway in front of the BACC. I told him how I really enjoyed that painting during my first visit. It looked very realistic, it stood alone on a red-ish wall as a background. The background within the painting was black so it made the figures specifically pop out in their elegant white gowns, elaborate hairstyles and diamond, dangling earrings. Mr. Palmore explained the four women were a singing group called The Velevelettes. Their record label was Motown during the 1960s. Two of them still lived in Kalamazoo and did performances. Then, standing up for a good thirty to forty minutes he started telling me the whole history about the Velvelettes, Motown, how he came to do the portrait. All of it sounded so good! I got really excited and thought it would be a great idea to write an art review of the painting for my art class and write a profile on Mr. Palmore for my Narrative Journalism class. The assignment was not even introduced yet by then, but I didn’t want to let the opportunity slip away.
            We exchanged contact information and set up an appointment to meet and talk more about the painting. When we met the following week, Thursday, May 17th at noon, we took a couple of chairs and sat in front of the painting in the hallway. He continued to talk about African American history, his career as an artist, and his artistic techniques. We met once again, this time it was an interview for the profile I wanted to write. During our interview he seemed to talk about the BACC history more than himself so I started getting more interested in the center itself.
            Right when I was having this thought as Mr. Palmore continued to talk, a tall, dark and very professionally dressed man walked through the doors and he introduced himself to me as Sidney Ellis. Mr. Palmore told me he was the executive director of the BACC and that I should talk to him. After the interview, Mr. Ellis had stepped out so Mrs. Jones gave me the number of the center to set up an appointment with Mr. Ellis.
            In our first interview, Mr. Ellis said a lot of great stuff, all within thirty minutes. His thoughts were gathered very well; it was naturally easy for him to talk about the center, and I really enjoyed that. I really got the sense of what the BACC is, its involvement within the community, and all the great work they do. But it kept bugging me that people didn’t seem to know that the BACC even existed, like me. So I wanted to know more why that is. And we couldn’t come up with an answer.
            When it came to writing the profile on the BACC, I realized all I had was a whole bunch of information. I couldn’t figure out how to write a narrative. I became really frustrated because the more I tried, the more it was just all very informational and objective. So I waited until our workshop to see what others thought should be the story. During the workshop, I was still really frustrated that I couldn’t figure it out, so I went into a mini rant about the BACC and what I thought that stood out to me the most. Right when I finished, my workshop group said, “Wow, that should be your story.” But I had no idea what I said. I had them repeat to me what I had said in order to re-collect my thoughts and take notes.
            When I went back to writing mode, I still couldn’t figure out a good narrative. And the thing that kept bugging was why is it that people don’t know about the BACC?! They do so much within the community, they put up annual events, they have different forms of media as advertisement, and they collaborate with so many other organizations that people are familiar with.
            But anyways, I didn’t actually believe that they were involved with the community until I actually saw it in front of my face; it was like a slap on the face. I bumped into Mr. Ellis on the Thursday morning, the day right before the Art Hop of June. I walked into the library to run and get a tape recorder because I was actually on my way to the BACC. I had sent an email to Mr. Ellis the night before to ask if we can meet again for follow up questions. I thought the center was going to be busy all day preparing for the Art Hop.
            But here I was, in our campus library, and Mr. Ellis was getting a lid for his Biggby’s coffee. I did a double-take head movement when I saw a tall, dark, very professionally dressed man wave hello to me. I was really surprised. I stopped to greet him and told him I was actually on my way to the BACC. He told me he came for a presentation an economics marketing class was going to have. I guessed it was a ten o’ clock class because it was 9:30 a.m.
            I accepted that we wouldn’t meet that day, but I went downtown to take the pictures for my audio slideshow.
            At first, I went through a lot of problems with creating this slideshow; my audio recordings were saved under windows format and Garageband on imac was not accepting it. So I decided to use Windows Movie Maker, which I thought was going to be a bad idea. But once I started playing with the program, I patiently figured everything out. I saw what the “divide” button did, so once I got the hang of that, I began to edit the recordings by cutting out parts I didn’t want. I had to listen to everything over and over again, and I experienced how time consuming this part of the project was going to be. So I was happy that I started at least a week before it was due and had went through all the problems I could possibly have in getting started.
            The audio slideshow was pretty fun to do. I saw the project as a game; I had to hit the divide button at the exact right moment to separate the fragment of recording and use the part that I wanted and delete what “ums” and pauses in between sentences. And this was specifically hard because I ended up using what I recorded the first time I interviewed Mr. Ellis for that half hour. He spit out a lot of great stuff so fast, it was really a game to divide the fragments because he hardly had any “ums” and pauses.
            While I was putting the audio slideshow together and listened to the audio over and over, I tried to figure out what my story should be. I had an idea of what should be included after workshop, but I still didn’t have a cohesive narrative.
            But then the thought came to me that it would be really cool for my final assignment to be about my experience of finding out who are the BACC, what do they do, where they are, who are involved, and so on. It kept frustrating me that they do so much, but for some reason, people didn’t seem to be paying attention to the actual center itself and the people who run it.
            Then finally I had a narrative. I mentioned when I first came across the center, what I was doing there, what interest I had in coming back. And then everything just unraveled from there. I thought that my encounter with Mr. Ellis at K was significant.
            I also actually bumped into one of Mr. Palmore’s paintings in the office of Student Accounts. My encounter with the painting was such a coincidence. I took a picture of it with Mr. Palmore’s signature for the audio slideshow.
            Going to the Art Hop on Friday, the day right after I bumped into Mr. Ellis was a good experience. I took the opportunity to ask people randomly if they had been into the BACC and see their show. One Caucasian woman said yes and she loved it. Three college students never heard of the BACC and they went to the second floor but didn’t think there was anything past the first exhibit on the hallway, which was completely ridiculous. I built up a lot of frustration because of that.
            Mr. Palmore was having a show of his own across the street from the Epic Center in the Midtown Gallery, and that was fun. I saw Mr. Palmore and he looked really happy with the audience; I took pictures of that too. And I asked an African American and another Caucasian about what they thought of the exhibit and if they went over to the BACC. Both said they truly enjoyed it so that was good.
            Then Mrs. Jones came into the gallery and she was very happy to see me. She said, “I usually don’t come out to the Art Hop. But I’m so glad I did! It’s amazing how creative one can be!” She was completely enjoying herself. I wanted to include what she said within the writing assignment, but I couldn’t go over the word count.
            There was a lot of stuff I wanted to add to the writing assignment. It would’ve been cool to have at least 1700 or 2000 words. But I’m content with what I have.
I’m happy I decided to include myself within the piece to walk my reader through my experience of learning about the BACC. And in doing that the reader would also ask themselves why they don’t know about the BACC if they do so much and advertise themselves in so many ways. Why is it that the BACC is not being recognized? The question still bugs me but I hope my readers get what was my intention in this project.
I want to thank the BACC for allowing me to have insight in what they are all about. It was a great experience, and I wish them the best. J
And, of course, I want to thank my professor, academic advisor, SIP advisor, and dear friend, Marin Heinritz for all of her support!

No comments:

Post a Comment